Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hearty Six-Hour Stew

This is the best stew ever! When I first saw the recipe and the tomato sauce in it, I thought that was bonkers! But you can't taste a hint of tomato. This is so super easy to make and tastes great! The only problem I ever had was overloading the pot and then it would boil over in my stove! But I've made this many times. Serves 4-6.

1 pound beef stew cubes
4 carrots, sliced (I just throw in a bag of baby carrots!)
4 medium potatoes, cut in large chunks
1 bay leaf
1 (1-oz) package dry onion soup mix
2 (10 3/4-oz) cans cream of mushroom soup
1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
1 (10-oz) package frozen green peas

Grease Dutch oven or heavy pan. Place beef cubes on the bottom. Layer carrots, then potatoes, lacing bay leaf on top. In a separate bowl mix remaining ingredients and pour over beef and vegetables. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Bake at 250° for 6 hours (or up to 8 hours). You can also bake this in your slow-cooker on low for up to 12 hours.

For Halloween or a fall or harvest dinner you could serve it in a hollowed-out pumpkin shell.

No comments: